In the July 28 issue of “Genealogy Pointers,” we referenced the work of the late Dr. David Faris, Plantagenet Ancestry of Seventeenth-Century Colonists. This important book traces the descent from England’s kings Henry III, Edward I, Edward II, and Edward III of British emigrants who arrived in the North American colonies before 1701, and who are believed to have progeny living in the U.S. today. In all, Dr. Faris summarizes about one hundred lines of descent back to the Plantagenet (Angevin) kings.
To further illustrate how Dr. Faris presented his findings, here is the descent from Edward III of the Englishman John Fisher, who was living in the Virginia Colony in 1623/24.
EDWARD 111 OF ENGLAND, King of England, married PHILIPPE DE HAINAUT.
EDMUND OF YORK [of Langley], Duke of York, married, ISABEL DE CASTILLE.
CONSTANCE OF YORK, married THOMAS LE DESPENSER, Earl of Gloucester.
ISABEL LE DESPENSER, married RICHARD DE BEAUCHAMP, Earl of Worcester.
ELIZABETH BEAUCHAMP, married EDWARD NEVILLE, Lord Bergavenny.
GEORGE NEVILLE, Lord Bergavenny, married MARGARET FENNE [see OXENBRIDGE 5].
5. ELIZABETH NEVILLE, was married to THOMAS BERKELEY, of “Auyne”, co. Hants, son and heir apparent of Edward Berkeley, of Beverstone, co. Gloucester, by his second wife Alice. THOMAS BERKELEY died 1500 v.p..
4. ANNE BERKELEY, second daughter and co-heiress, was married to JOHN BRENT, Esq., of Charing, Kent, son of John Brent, senior, of Charing. They had two sons and two daughters. She was a widow in 1545-46 and died in 1571-72.
3. MARGARET BRENT, was sister and heiress Of Thomas Brent, Esq. She was married for the first time to JOHN DERING, Esq., of Surrenden Dering, son and heir of Nicholas Dering, Esq., of Surrenden, by Alice, daughter and heiress of William Bettenham, of Bettenham Wood, Cranbrook, Kent. They had five sons and four daughters. JOHN DERING, ESQ., died in 1550, and was buried at St. Nicholas’, Pluckley. She was married for the second time to _____MOORE.
2. RICHARD DERING, Esq., of Surrenden, younger son, was married to MARGARET TWISDEN, daughter of William Twisden, Esq., of Peckham, by Elizabeth, daughter and heir of Thomas Roydon, Esq., of Great Peckham. They had four sons and three daughters.
1. BENNETT DERING, was married to JOHN FISHER, of Maidstone, Kent, son of Alexander Fisher, by Katherine, daughter of Peter Maplesden.
Children & grandchildren of John Fisher, by Bennett Dering:
i. GEORGE FISHER, born about 1601.
ii. JOHN FISHER, second son, was born about 1603, resided Virginia in February 1623/4, will proved 23 Mar. 1639/40; married ELIZABETH ________________
a. JOHN FISHER, living 28 Apr. 1639, died s.p.
b. STEPHEN FISHER, born about 1636, married REBECCA (BAGWELL) ANDREWS. One daughter.
c. PHILIP FISHER, born about 1637, of Northampton County, Virginia, married ELIZABETH MADDOX. Nine children.
iii. Henry Fisher, born about 1605
iv. ELIZABETH FISHER.