Payson Lyman’s diminutive history of the town of Easthampton, Massachusetts, one of the four “Hamptons” situated in the western part of the state, was published in the aftermath of the Civil War. Although Easthampton was not incorporated as a town until 1785, the author traces its beginnings to 1664, when the earliest British inhabitants are known to have occupied the site. The history of the Congregationalist Church in Easthampton, including the establishment of the Williston Seminary, is summarized, as is that of the more recent Methodist Church, many of whose followers were employed in Easthampton’s textile factories. The progress of the public schools, industry and agriculture, and libraries and public houses (taverns) takes up the middle third of the volume. The genealogist may wish to home in on various lists of office holders-elective and appointed-as well as a lengthy chapter on Easthampton’s service in the Civil War. Virtually every person who participated in the conflict is identified by his company and dates of service, and those Union soldiers from Easthampton who paid the supreme sacrifice are described in some detail. Mr. Lyman’s history concludes with detailed genealogical sketches of the following founding families: Chapman, Clapp, Clark, Ferry, Hannum, Hendrick, Janes, Knight, Ludden, Lyman, Parsons, Phelps, Pomeroy, White, Williston, Wood, and Wright.