St. Mark’s Parish was formed in 1730, eighteen years before the formation of Culpeper County, with which it was coterminous during the colonial period. The county/parish lay at the center of the Northern Neck of Virginia, adjacent to Stafford County.
In the first half of his book, Reverend Slaughter discusses the history of St. Mark’s, with special emphasis on the founding role of Governor Alexander Spotswood, the organization of the parish, biographies of various rectors, the history of Germanna, the life of his ancestor Captain Philip Slaughter, and other highlights drawn from the parish vestry book. The balance of the volume is devoted to genealogies of the following pioneer families of St. Mark’s: Barbour, Broadus, Brown, Carter, Cave, Clayton, Coleman, Conway, Field, Fry, Garnett, Glassell, Green, Hill, Lightfoot, Madison, Pendleton, Slaughter, Stevenson, Strother, Taylor, Thompson, Williams, Winston-Henry, and Woodville.
There are no reviews yet.