The Holland Land Company was a stock corporation formed by six Dutch banking houses for the purpose of buying land in New York. By the year 1797 the Company had purchased some 3.3 million acres of land in western New York, west of the Genesee River. Known as the Holland Land Purchase, all this land was sold off by 1839. This present work is an index to the records, the Land Titles, of the Holland Land Company from their inception in 1804 until the year 1824. Also covered are the land transactions in Morris’ Reserve and a tract of land known as the 40,000-Acre Tract, both east of the Purchase.
Touching on some 40,000 individual land transactions, the extracts given here provide the purchaser’s name, the location of the purchase, the date of the transaction, the type of transaction, and a citation to the original source and microfilm. The area covered in this work extends from Genesee County west to the counties of Erie, Chautauqua, and Cattaraugus, covering such towns as Buffalo and Batavia.